Become a mentor, you’ll change a child’s life
In Indian River hundreds of students need caring mentors to help them make the most of their potential in school, in the world of work and in life.
To be a mentor, you don’t need any special skills - just an ability to listen and to offer friendship, guidance and encouragement to a young person growing up today. You’ll be amazed by how much you’ll get from the experience, too.
Mentors meet with their student (mentee) for one hour a week during the school year. Volunteers can also choose the school in which they would like to mentor.
How does mentoring help?
The benefits of mentoring are well documented. Studies by Big Brothers Big Sisters of Delaware and Creative Mentoring have found the following improvements by youth:
• 81% exhibit improved self-confidence, self-esteem, and self-control
• 61% show an improved attitude toward learning
• 46% are less likely to start using illegal drugs
• 52% are less likely to skip school
• 27% are less likely to start drinking
How Do You Become a Mentor?
Each prospective mentor must:
• Submit an application with references and provide information for a background check
• Meet one-on-one with the district's mentoring coordinator
• Complete a three-hour training session
• You will then be assigned a mentee at the school of your choice
Who to Contact
Anyone interested in becoming a mentor should contact the Parent Center at (302) 732-1522.